Wentworth Falls, one of the most beautiful Blue Mountains towns, offers possibly the most spectacular bushwalks and views. Originally called ‘Weatherboard’ after the ‘Weatherboard Hut’ built in 1814, a year later the town was named ‘Jamison’s Valley’ by Governor Macquarie. In July 1867 the historic first railway journey in the Blue Mountains left Penrith station and travelled through to Weatherboard Station where the train terminated.
It wasn’t until 1879 that the name was changed to Wentworth Falls in honour of William Charles Wentworth. The area known as ‘Kings Tableland’ offers almost haunting views. Care must be taken within this area to preserve the ancient Aboriginal site, Kings Table. It has been calculated via carbon dating that the land was occupied some 22,000 years ago!
Further west along the Great Western Highway on the north side is Pitt Park and the Wentworth Falls School of Arts. ‘The Bathurst Traveller’, later renamed ‘Weatherboard Inn’ was an inn Built in 1826 at Pitt Park. Charles Darwin, the renowned scientist was reported to have stayed here around 1836.