In March 1788, Governor Arthur Phillip set off to find more suitable land for agriculture and travelled up the Hawkesbury River as far as Dangar Island. He returned the following year and navigated the river to a point upstream of Windsor. Governor Phillip and his party reached this area by boat on 6th July 1789 and named it Green Hills. He was impressed with its farming potential and quickly arranged for food production to begin in order to relieve the shortages in Port Jackson. Governor Macquarie named the settlement Windsor in 1810.
This was the start of the Hawkesbury Hills District, still a rich production area for food and a wonderful playground. Visit the Information Centres at Dural, Castle Hill, Rouse Hill and Hornsby for more information.
Surrounded by 10 National parks an hour’s drive from Sydney, the area provides a wide range of recreational pursuits.
Encircled by noteworthy national parks – Dharug to the north and east, Yengo to the north-west, Cattai to the west, and Marramarra to the south – Wisemans Ferry is a rustic village on one of the country’s most famous waterways.